Utility Help at the Table's Peer Advocacy Office

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

COVID19 Pandemic Update

The Community Advocacy Office is still operating remotely for most services. However, we are setting up limited appointments to complete LEAP applications. Please contact us by phone or email, 613-267-6428 x29 or advocacy@thetablecfc.org


How to Get Energy Assistance/Credit Program help at the Table CFC:

I. LEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance Program)

Emergency financial assistance program to assist low-income customers who are having difficulty paying off arrears on Hydro or Enbridge Gas Bills. The maximum grant level is $500.00 per fuel, per household, per year.  (If you live in an electrically heated home you may be eligible to receive $600.00/year.)


Start the LEAP process by calling 1-855-487-5327 and doing the phone intake procedure OR use the online portal: https://uwsimcoemuskoka.ca/leap/

You will need your utility bill to make this call. If you have been threatened with disconnection, please let the agent helping you know as they can call the provider for you and arrange for this to be put on hold or cancelled.


Once you have applied through the LEAP program (Greater Simcoe United Way) you should then call our advocacy office to see that we have received  the application via email at  613-267-6428 x29.


Complete Application at the Table during the Advocacy Office Hours (M & F: 2-5; Tues: 12-3:30; W: 3:30-6). 

WHAT  YOU WILL NEED TO BRING for the LEAP application process:

1.      ID for yourself and all household members.

2.      Proof of  income for you and all household members.

3.      Proof of rent or mortgage.

4.      Most recent utility bill.

5.      Disconnect Notice (if you received one).

We need to speak with the person whose name is on the bill to process an application for LEAP.


II. OESP(Ontario Electricity Support Program)

A monthly credit on your bill- Eligible households can receive between $30 and $75 depending on the size of the family and household income. Households, that have electric heat as their primary source of heat or that have members who use a mechanical ventilator or an oxygen concentrator will receive larger rebates to cover their higher electricity usage. Households with 1st Nation’s, Inuit, and Metis household members, or with members who receive a CPP Disability pension, are also eligible for specific directed assistance under the program.


Complete an online application at the Table during the Advocacy Office Hours (M & F: 2-5; Tues: 12-3:30; W: 3:30-6).

WHAT  YOU WILL NEED TO BRING for the OESP application process:

1. Names and birthdates of all household members

2. Social Insurance Numbers for all household members over 18 if taxes are up to date


2. Proof of income for all household members over 18( if taxes not up to date) and for 16 & 17 year old household members

3. Most recent utility bill

We need to speak with the person whose name is on the bill to process an application for OESP.


III. HAP (Home Assistance Program)

A Program for qualified low-income customers of Hydro One. This gives assistance to customers to improve energy efficiency in their homes.  Eligible households can receive efficient lightbulbs, insulation, and more efficient appliances. You can call the advocates at 613-267-6428 x29 and they can refer you or you can call the program directly at 1-888-797-7534.