Core foods from the Good Food Bank

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Because we don’t believe that just any food is good enough, starting in January, 2014 Core Foods will be stocked in the food bank!

Beginning in January 2014, when you come to the Good Food Bank for emergency food, you will see some changes. We have started a Core Food Initiative that will:

  • Make sure that healthy food are always available
  • Make your “food points” go further when you make healthy choices,
  • Offer you samples of healthy cooking, and, hopefully,
  • Make your shopping faster and simpler

What defines Core Foods?

Core Foods are staples and fresh foods (such as milk and vegetables) that meet two of the following criteria. They are:

  •  Rich in nutrients
  •  In environmentally-friendly packaging
  •  Locally grown and/or produced
  •  Low in sodium (salt)
  •  Low in fat
  •  Low to no processing
  •  Less than 3-5 ingredients on the label

We will also offer food items such as flour which are key ingredients in making nutritious foods at home.

The Core Food List:

  • Fresh fruit and vegetables
  • Milk
  • Fresh local eggs
  • Lean meat
  • Canned whole, diced or crushed tomatoes
  • Canned vegetables
  • Canned tomato paste and sauce
  • Canned pasta sauces
  • Canned seafood
  • Canned  beans and dried beans
  • Canned baked beans
  • Peanut butter
  • Bread -whole grain/whole wheat when possible
  • Dried pasta
  • Rice
  • Oats
  • Grains and seeds
  • Breakfast  cereals (low sugar)
  • Flour
  • Sugar (brown and white)

You can count on finding these Core Foods on the shelf whenever you come to the Good Food Bank.

How does core food distribution work?

You will start your shopping at the Core Food shelves where you will spend approximately 70% of your “food points”. At the end of your Core food shop, you will still be able to choose some non-Core Food items. The points allotted to non-core foods will make up the remaining 30% of your shop. Your Shopping Buddy will be there to help if need be.

One example:

It will cost you fewer points for a lot more dried pasta and pasta sauce in the Core Food Section than for a small mac and cheese dinner from the non-core section.  Best of all, the Core Foods are much better for you!

Not sure how to cook the core foods?

Your shopping buddy will be glad to help you find some tips and recipes. Watch for free samples of simple, healthy meals being handed out in the Good Food Bank.

What donated foods cannot be used at the Good Food Bank?

Whether in the Core Food section or non-core, we are not permitted to give out:

  •  Dented cans
  •  Food in open or ripped packaging
  •  Any food past its Best Before date


If you have comments on the Core Food Program, talk to the staff or volunteers or put a suggestion in the Suggestion Box just inside the front entrance. We read them all and find them helpful.